Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Long live the baby duckies!


As we were coming home yesterday night, the Mrs. & her little baby duckies were sitting on the side of the dock. My youngest daughter has become absolutely smitten with them! I'm not sure how many babies I told you she had before.... but she had 11. She now has 10. I've encountered a few neighbours who are quite pessimistic about the life expectancy of these little guys, calling them "popcorn ducks". Sadly, seals & other things prey on the poor baby duckies. I'm told they rarely make it to adulthood. My youngest hasn't noticed that one is missing & I'm hoping they all make it to become big healthy ducks, to prove the neighbours wrong. My daughter feeds them when she comes home & weekends have been spent trying to spy on them from the upper deck of our house. The duckies totally make her day!

Tomorrow is her Birthday. She will be 7. I've been trying to figure out what to get her. Yes, I'm the queen of last minute-ness. I know that I am going to make her some curtains for her bunk bed tonight, but I really am at loss for what the "big" gift should be. She will be having a little party with friends on Friday after school which she has been counting down the sleeps since May 1st. And the lucky girl gets to wear her p.j's to school tomorrow, for a pajama party! I really wish they had these when I was little! She wanted Webkinz p.j's special for the day, but I don't think they exist (yet). We are going to go shopping for some special birthday pajama party p.j's after school today. When I asked her what kind she would like to look for she said, "Silky ones". I'm going to opt out on that one, I think... Silky p.j's for a 7 year old - kind of creeps me out!

I can't believe she is 7 tomorrow! Times goes by so fast, it seems like not so long ago she was being carried around 24 hours a day in her Baby Bjorn carrier. EGAD! My back is living proof of those days. I'm glad she grew outta being carried! BUT I still lay down with her, in order for her to fall asleep at night. Such a terrible routine to get into! As we were laying down the other night, she started singing. She usually only breaks out into song if she thinks you aren't paying attention. Her song of choice was a chorus from the song "Vampire" off the Juno Soundtrack...

"I am a vampire, I am a vampire, I am a vampire, I am a vampire, I AM A VAMPIRE & I've lost my fangs!"

It was the funniest cutest thing ever! (You had to be there, I guess) So the next morning, I was setting up the play list for our LONG commute to school back in our old neighbourhood & I set up the, "I am a Vampire" song,  thinking she would be thrilled!!!

 I said, "This one is for you, Ideya".
 The songs starts...
 She yells out, "I HATE THIS SONG! TURN IT OFF! YUCK! THAT SONG SUCKS!". 
She asked me to never play that song again with her in the van.

 She constantly has me on my toes that one!

I better go figure out what I'm going to get that little lady for her birthday tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment