Monday, May 25, 2009

The visit with the vet today

Luke went to his appointment this morning at a different vet from the one he was at last week. This vet deals with conventional care & holistic.

Luke was fine for the ride to the vet. We were the first appointment of the day and the only ones there. The visit was brief, but gave me a much better feeling then the other vet. This vet was able to tell me that he thinks that it is his gall bladder that is effected. When looking at the x-rays, he was able to tell that he saw stones. The other vet, just wasn't sure what they were & where it may have come from. So that was a relief to actually be told what things were, rather than being inconclusive. This vet recommended that an ultra sound would confirm what was going on in Luke. I knew that the ultra sound was coming. But, also the vet said he may need his gall bladder removed. I'm not sure the cost of that, but it's got to be pricey. We have raised enough funds to hopefully cover the ultrasound, that will be done on Friday. They are calling me Wednesday to give me all the details of the when, how and cost.

To date we have raised $500!!! Which is a so amazing. Without your generosity, there would be no next step for Luke. I am tapped out fund wise after last week's stay at the vet. I am very thankful that we can get the ultra sound and then make a decision from there. I am taking it one day at at time.

The vet prescribed a B-12 shot for Luke for the next 5 days. I have to inject him with that. (Nervous about that one). We also got the high calorie paste in the tube, that someone had actually mentioned to me in the comments or maybe it was twitter. Also another type of wet food a/d to give to him to force feed him. I really wish that switch would just click in him and he would eat on his own. He loves to eat in real life, it was the best parts of his days.

I do feel better about this visit today at the vet. But the sound of an operation is just something I can not handle the sound of right now. I want to think positively and just hope that maybe he can be cured by medicine? (naive possibly)... I'm going to be doing some internet research on the gall bladder situation.

On the ride home, so many things go through my head about how to deal with this. The sadness sets in... I don't want to have just had 2 years with Luke. I want more time. I really want more time with him. It breaks my heart every time I think of the possible loss. I just now try to stay away from those thoughts.

Yesterday, I bought Luke a little can of fancy feast to see if he would be interested in it. He actually licked it & picked up a couple of pieces, but then that was all. I was so hoping he would just dig in. I also bought him some turkey baby food. It was slim pickings at the Superstore for tasty meat selections. Luke actually put up a bit of a fight when I fed him this. But, it seemed like such a tastier option than watered down wet food. But I am a human... he is a cat. I am just going to stick to the high calorie paste that vet gave us & the new wet food. But I am hoping he will just want to eat someday soon on his own.

I had mentioned that I will be putting a little package together for those of you who have donated. I am sticking to this plan. I will be going through all the donations this afternoon to make sure I have everyone's address! So you may get an email from me today!!!

So now we just wait.






1 comment:

  1. don't be nervous about the injection. You'll do just fine! The calmer you are the calmer Luke will be! I was a vet tech student and before working in vet hospitals I never thought I would be able to give injections or anything like that! But it's pretty easy and quick! : )

    ReplyDelete