Friday, May 22, 2009

Luke's first night & morning at home

(his unsuccessful attempt at trying to hide under the bed)

Luke's first night home went well.

Last night he slept with me on the bed for part of the night. Which was a nice change for him, compared to the kennel at the Vet. He was non-stop purrs and giving head bunt kisses. He is such a sweetheart.

He got up to get a drink of water a couple of times and to use the litter box. He spent some of the night on his bed on the floor, I think because it was a little cooler down there for him. Then a couple hours before I had to wake up, I brought him up on the bed to sleep with me. When I went downstairs for a shower, he was still sleeping in bed. But, when I came back up he was not there. I was a little worried, but our small home doesn't give him many options to hide in. He has found his way behind the head board cubby area of the bed. He wouldn't come out. I even had his breakfast of wet food ready. He just wouldn't come. I had to pull him out from under there. While I went downstairs to mix up his food with some warm water so I could feed him, my daughter blocked off the passage to under the bed. When I was downstairs, he had lodged himself under the tiniest space under the bed to try and get back to the bigger cubby area under the bed (I think). Fat chance. He's a little to big to fit through there & I think he gave up, because he was quite happy to just lay with his head under the bed. Silly boy.

I had a hard time with my first time force feeding him. The Vet assistant made it look so easy. But she had wasted so much food by letting it dribble every where. I took it slow & wiped his chin off as he needed it. At one point he needed a potty break. I am actually kind of getting worried about all the litter box breaks a bit....

Luke is scheduled for another Vet appointment on Monday morning. We are taking him to another clinic, to get a second opinion. Until then we are hoping he will feel a little better about being surrounded by people who love him & where he can get endless cuddles and kisses.

When I last checked the total amount donated, it was at $380!!! Thank you again to all those that are helping Luke & I out. We appreciate it sooooooo much. You are all the bestest!!!






6 comments:

  1. awwww he's such a sweetheart!! hehehe my Crisp hides underneath like that when he's feeling cowardly. It's cute because they know they can't fit ;)

    Get well soon Luke! *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  2. GET WELL SOON to Luke. Have you tried feeding him kitten milk from a pet store? Since it is liquid he might accept it better and it usu. has extra nutrients added. Also, put tuna and its water thru the blender w/ a little sugar-water if he likes sweet things. He might drink that like water.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there, Please make a note of how often he is going to the litter box and check the box right after he goes to see if there is blood in the urine. These are very important info for the vet. We have our paws crossed here!
    Barbara (bfiori) Roscoe and Filozinha

    ReplyDelete
  4. -He is so cute trying to hide under the bed like that.
    - good idea Leslie. I will get some of that kitten milk!!!
    - Thanks Barbara for the advice about the litter box visits. I never thought to keep track! But, it does worry me how often he is going... thank for your donation too!!! hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Luke is so cute. Try feeding him meat flavored baby food. Veal is a good one. Has good nutrition but is easily palatable and gentle on his system. When cats stop eating they sometimes don't automatically start so giving him something new could help. But try the baby food; worked wonders on my cat with cancer several years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Luke is a handsome boy. I love his man sized paws, I hope he is getting better...

    ReplyDelete