Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Luke's story


I've created this blog to ask for help for Luke shop cat. Sadly our best employee (ummm... only employee) Has fallen ill. Luke works at a little gift shop in Gastown, in Vancouver, BC. Luke has been with us for 2 years. He loves visitors & gives love to every single soul that walks through that door! He would run out from his bed when he heard people come in to greet them with some loving leg rubs with his head. Some were even so lucky to get kisses if he was sitting up on the counter top of the desk. He gave kisses to many ladies - even some very friendly cat loving men!!!

Luke has been at the Vet since Monday morning. The shop is very lonely with out him. Before Luke went to the Vet, he had stopped eating & was having a hard time keeping any food down. He was drinking water, but he kept bringing up the water. It was clear that he wasn't able to keep anything down & was not himself. He was lethargic and wouldn't come out to see me or any other visitors.

Luke had gone into the Vet on a holiday Monday here in Canada. So when they did the blood work, we had to wait till the following day for the lab to open to even have the samples sent. They put him on I.V for fluids & gave him some antibiotics. He was so still, just laying there. But he would purr when you spoke to him & gave him some love. He purred so loud the Dr. could not even get a clear listen on his heart. The Dr. couldn't believe how big his purr was. He didn't have a temperature, but the Dr. thought he must have and it finally broke. It was so hard to leave him there. The clinic was closing early because of the holiday & I would return in the morning to find out if he improved at all.

He didn't improve come the next morning. He was now hydrated though, but still lethargic. There was a dog barking in the back of the clinic & Luke just laid there, with his little I.V in his paw on the examining table not even phased. Poor little guy. They force fed him yesterday & he was able to keep it down. But, he would not go to the food himself. We were really just buying time until the blood work came back so we could have some kind of answer.

Blood work came back last night & they called to tell me it was his liver. I had to go and talk with them about the next step. This morning when I went they told me, he needs an ultra sound and that that would be the best way to rule out a tumor. Ultra sound is $360 + $68 exam fee. Poor Luke's bill is already close to $500. They also suggested a biopsy of the liver & an x-ray. Plus another round of blood tests once that is done.

I just can't afford more tests. It breaks my heart. It literally feels like my heart is being pulled out. I just need to have some kind of answer to what is happening to his liver. But the funds for the ultrasound are out of my league right now.

I am going in tonight to the Vet after work, to see if I can bring him home. They have to take the I.V out today because you can't keep it in for more than 3 days. I am hoping he will be stable enough to take home so he can get some cuddles & maybe be less stressed by not being around the noisy clinic. But, in order to be sure he gets the right medicine he needs the ultra sound so he can be treated.

I will post once I know more after I run to the Vet this evening.

If you can find it in heart to help luke get the medical care he needs, please find the DONATE button on this page & I promise to send out a little package to you. So be sure to give your address.

I will be eternally grateful as would Luke.
Luke is my everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment