Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Luke today & yesterday night

Not much has changed for Luke. He still will not eat any wet food on his own & another troubling thing is he hasn't had a BM since he has been home (Thursday night). The vet didn't seem to mind this... I just can't wait till Friday for the ultra sound.

I gave Luke the high calorie paste in the syringe last night. The vet said that he would probably lick it off my finger, because animals find it quite tasty. But he was not interested in the slightest. A little later on I gave him the option to eat the a/d wet food as a meal on a plate. But, he just sniffed it and walked away. Which is so out of character for him, Luke loved wet food with all his heart before. I eventually took the a/d food & wet it down and used a syringe to force fed him. He is so over the force feeding. As am I. I hate doing it. I know he hates me doing it too. He is so wiggly & always trying to back up outta of my arms. I want his inner switch to go off so he can enjoy his favorite meal again.

This morning I was to give him his B12 injection. I chickened out after reading a terrible story on the internet last night. A lady actually made the needle come out the other side of the cats skin! So this morning after I dropped my kids off at school I went to the vet, just to double check on the technique to get it done. The vet is in North Vancouver, but we live in Richmond(25km away) My kids still go to school over in N.Van so it's not a real problem. But after I double checked with the vet I drove all the way home which takes an hour in traffic! Such a long haul, but worth it because I was second guessing myself.

I gave Luke another tube full the high calorie paste when I got in, because I had already fed him the a/d at 6:30am. The paste is so easy. I wish the wet food feeding was as easy. I then went and prepared the B12 shot. I was more concerned about the feeling of going through the skin. Yuck. I hate needles period, so to have to do it to another person or animal just gives me the shiveries. I actually started crying I was so nervous. He was fine though, just purring and waiting for the unknown. But, then I breathed in & did it! I do admit to looking away while I squished the plunger down. But, I did it! It was fine. He was fine. Thankfully it's only once a day. And only 3 more shots to go!

Everyone I talk to seems hopeful that the gall bladder thing will be fine. I'm not so sure. I just don't want him to have to have an operation. Finger crossed it all works out.

Luke had a few people in the shop yesterday wondering how he was doing so that was nice. There are so many thoughtful, sweet & caring people out there. I am so glad to have so many wonderful people on Team Luke!

Thank you everyone so much for all your advice. You are all the bestest cat friends ever!

Also the donations have pretty much ceased. Just wanted to keep you updated on that. I am hoping it will be enough to cover his ultrasound on Friday. I'll know tomorrow how much that will all cost.

Gotta go catch up on work now. Have a good day everyone!!!








3 comments:

  1. Glad his injection went well. He really can't feel it you know. It slides through his skin into the empty space between his skin adn his muscle. Just give him a little pat on the injection site afterwards. It's hurting you a LOT more than it's hurting him. (Gave diabetic cat injections twice daily for 5 years. She hardly noticed.... believe me.) Hang in there. If he ate dry food, he is starting to come around - have you tried him on anything like tinned chicken?

    ReplyDelete
  2. madebykaroline- WE do live in Richmond. I am very unfamiliar with any vets out there. As we lived in north Van up until 1 year ago. thanks for the info! i'm taking it step by step. once we get hte results of the ultra sound & I guess that will determine if he needs surgery. if he does need surgery, I am going to have to shop around for the most affordable place to have the surgery & see if there is some organization that can help with the payment of it. (fingers crossed)
    thanks for the love & support! *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leslie - thanks the suggestion on the tined chicken!!! that is a great idea - i'm guessing he is just turned off by all wet food for cats. poor guy! you are right about him not noticing me giving him the needle. i was so scared to do it, but now it is so easy for me. I'm glad he is so patient with me. i was such a mess the first time I was about to do the injection. he just sat there purring while I was freaking out slightly! I love him.

    thanks for following our world!! you are the bestest!! your suggestions are very appreciated. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete