Wednesday, November 5, 2008

The stubborn contortionist

My youngest has been doing her contortion classes every week. She looks forward to the class so much. Just last week her teacher told me she would now like my daughter to join the older class for November. I wasn't sure how she would feel about it, but you would hope for excitement about moving up a class, rather than refusal to go ahead. To ease her into the next class, we were going to stay extra for a bit so she could watch the other class, after her class. To give her an idea what goes on with the others. She is still just doing one on one right now. My little lady still has issues with shyness. Which has put a hold on her moving forward at this point. When the next class comes in a little early before her class is even over, she kind of freezes up. Gets all shy & won't complete the class. The odd thing is even if I try and come in a little early to watch, same thing happens. She refuses to do what she is told & gets all chin to chest shy. I will leave because it gets so darn uncomfortable.

At home, she will totally train with me. She will even share what she can do (in the comfort of her home) with people she doesn't even know that well. Why, she gets shy around me in front of her teacher is a mystery. This has happened 3 times now. She gets shy to tears almost. It's no fun picking her up & she is crying. Especially when contortion class makes her so happy. Her teacher approached me after last class & said that she knows that my daughter loves the class & loves doing it, but we'll just keep doing one on one for now until she gets more comfortable in front of others. True, she is only 7 & I don't want to push her. But, it was a total fluke she even got to do private lessons. It was only because no one else joined up. If she were in ballet, gymnastics, or even swimming lessons other children would be in her class. It's just the way childhood works... you learn in a class of peers. I just want her to get over the shyness. The other girls in the other class are so excited to have her join them. It's so sad that she is holding herself back. Once she gets to the next class, she'll get to do so many more things. Like more over stretching with a partner & duo tricks. She just doesn't know what she is missing. I'm hoping that maybe we will try again this week to at least watch the other class. I know once she see's what goes on, that she will feel more comfortable. I think it's the not knowing, that is giving her anxiety about moving up. But as for the matter of not being able to continue her class in front of me or other girls, is a mystery.

My little shy stubborn contortionist.

No comments:

Post a Comment