Wednesday, June 11, 2008

This time of year

I notice this feeling every year. It happens in May. This nagging feeling, that I must hop on a Vespa & ride away into the sunset. Maybe it's because the scooter rallies start in May. But, my love for Vespa has never died. Even though it has been 12 years since I rode on one. The last time I got on one - I was 8 months pregnant and went to the Victoria Rally. I borrowed a bike from my friend for the evening. I took the bike to the Shell gas station to fill'er up, just minutes before they closed. When I went to try and start the darn thing it stalled on me! The gas station was now closed & like a ghost town. It wouldn't start for me no matter what I did. Typical for a scooter that is almost 30 years old, yes. But, at 8 months pregnant & trying to jump start the bike it was quite the task - I wish I could have stepped outta my body to watch myself. I was running up and down the parking lot, trying to get her to start. I was almost in tears. I called one of the scooter club guys & told me just to leave the bike & take a taxi. Jerk. Finally a nice man gave me a good push & it started. That was the last time I rode a bike. I love the feeling of being on a scooter. The smell of 2 stroke, the buzz of the scooter that can be heard a block away before you actually see the bike coming. Love it all. I will love scooterz forever!!!

Anyone who knows me, knows that I had a really bad scooter accident. I crashed my bike (not my fault) back in Portland 13 years ago. I was out shopping for a dress for the Vancouver Scooter Rally. I was to be leaving the next morning with my friend Drat to ride up to Canada to partake in the fun. I had done the drive a few times. I moved to Portland that summer. It was the last day of August & I was coming back from unsuccessfully finding no party frock for the rally. I had my room-mate on the back of my bike (He was a bad luck charm, I swear!!!). It was dusk & a car in the opposite direction pulled out in front of me to make a left turn. He "apparently" never saw us coming at 25m/hr. I don't remember what happened really, I blacked out. When I came to, I had a group of people around me & they were trying to get me to the ambulance. The medics had my passenger already in a stretcher and were tending to him. I tried to walk away from the scene. It was now pitch dark. The last thing I had remembered was it was sunset. I was mumbling about how I was just in the nicest dream. Then I remember being pulled out of that dream, because it was like "I shouldn't be sleeping right now" kind of feeling. Then after I saw the blood all over me, I then was babbling about how I didn't want to look like Victor. Victor, had been in a couple of scooter accidents. One accident losing a lot of teeth after smashing into the back of a truck. They were able to stick his teeth back in his head - but they did it all wrong! So I feel my face. It's really messed up. Bottom line was, I broke my jaw, a few teeth, my cheek & the whole left side of my body was tweaked. Collar bone - knees & knuckles. I was a mess. The moment I saw my passenger, I ran up to him -asking if he knew what happened. He was saying how his back was broken! THAT made me loose it!!! I was balling & really freaking out. I get to the back of the ambulance and we head to the hospital. They tried to give me oxygen, but it was just was so painful. I was a wreck to say the least. I spent many hours there. Being a Canadian in a hospital in the States with no medical is a bad thing. I guess really, being an American in America with no medical is a bad thing too. They weren't going to admit me. They did. I got a half ass assesment of my condition. I had to tell THE doctors that my cheek was definitely broken as they pushed & pulled on it, it was terrible. Friends started pouring into the hospital, but they wouldn't let them in to see me. Just one friend. Alicia, another one of my room-mates. She cleaned me up & everyone in the waiting room was sending me love notes. I felt so loved. My passenger left the hospital before me, he never even waited or came to talk to me. He just bailed. He ended up being fine. Thankfully. I was the one that ended up a mess.

I was discharged, and was sent home. Only to woken up every 1/2 hour because I had a concussion. The next day I called back home to make plans to get fixed in Canada. It was 2 days of walking around with a broken jaw waiting for my dad to fly down to get me. My face was the size of a pumpkin & as we were waiting in the waiting area to get on the plane. My dad made what he thought was a joke about "How people are going to think he's a woman beater". So terrible. He made me feel so gross. It was an unbearable plane ride home to Canada. When I got back home, it was straight to the hospital to get my jaw wired & get mending up. Even after all this drama, I borrowed some one's scooter to drive around to Dr. appointments. Had to get back on the horse, you know what I mean!? Better than fearing it for life. I feel safe riding on a scooter. Just have to be ultra aware of the drivers around you. Accidents happen. One thing I think I would do differently is, get a full face helmet.

This year I am actually really considering buying a scooter. With the cost of gas & parking. It's seems only logical. I have been on the hunt for the last week. Since I am pretty much outta the scooter scene now, I've reached out to a couple of scooter mates to put it "out there", that I am looking. I've discovered this new mountain of knowledge of scooters on the internet. It's made me a little cautious of private scooter sellers. With all the Vietnam bodged up bikes. So scary. People import these bikes from Vietnam, with super nice paint jobs but the engines are a mess really and the bikes are all bondo'd up. Sometimes 2-5 different bikes to make one bike. Really not safe & a total hazard for the road. I can not believe that people who sell these bikes are knowingly selling these hazards. They are unsafe & are willing to sell them to make some quick cash.

Horrid.

I've run outta time - I got to go home now. I really didn't meant this to be such a lame tragic story. You probably think I'm crazy for wanting a scooter again!

I just have to though!!

1 comment:

  1. What's the point if you're not crazy?
    Urgh , what a story. You were always the toughest but calmest cat we've known. Like the day you went into labor. 'mmm, I'm having contractions, I'm going for tea'. Crazy! That's why we love you!

    ReplyDelete